Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Snow Fences | 10 Comments - Click Here :

Denver Public Library

    I haven't touched the layout or the workbench since completing my first operating session. I'm not sure why; hopefully not because some milestone has been reached (I do have to admit to letting my mind wander about larger scales though).
    I've got a number of projects on the workbench including the bunk house and numerous pieces of rolling stock. But I'd really like to build up some snow fences. Does anyone have the C&S standard plans for them, such as these examples on Boreas Pass? I could take a wild guess at the dimensions, but I thought I'd put it out there first.

Denver Public Library
10 Comments - Click Here :
  1. Well I flipped thru my booklet of standards and there wasn't anything on Snow fences. Now i know i've seen drawings but not sure if they were from the RR and I'd be hard pressed to find them in all thissss ssstuff!

    But I'd think that stndards would just be a place to start. Where would these go on the layout? Maybe it would be better to eyeball them anyway and undersize them to get a forced perspective feel?

    Derrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking d. These go along the front of the layout, so I'd like them to be full size. Unless plans turn up, I will eyeball them and go from there.

      Delete
  2. I looked thru my big drawings and there wasn't anything in them. Maybe i just imagined I saw them. Sorry.

    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know the horizontal boards are 8' or 10' long. I bet they are eights, with ten foot poles. And I bet the horizontals are 4x12s. Give it a whirl: if this horizontal boards are a foot, how does everything else measure out?

    (then tell me, because I am lazy and will need some snow fence when I get to the pass.)

    Keith
    Leadville in Sn3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I will give it a whirl and let you know as soon as the motivation to get back to the workbench reappears. The change in weather seems to have an effect on that.

      Delete
  4. Hard to judge sizes without any real references. My guess would be 6x6 uprights, 2x8 and 2x12 horizontal pieces 16 feet long.

    Best,
    Todd Ferguson
    Harrisburg, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd. Agreed. Then the uprights are probably 8' to 10' apart??

      Delete
  5. Looking back at the photo, I see some of my assumptions are in error. Only the lower boards are 12", but more likely they are 8". The uppers are 4" or 6".

    Whatever you do, DON'T GO OUTSIDE.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late. I've been out.
      Thank for your input Keith. I think you are correct in that there are many different widths at work.

      Delete